Monday 23 May 2016

Rescind my admin rights, immediately

Sometimes, it feels like I’m doing something that should be good but turns out to be bad.

For instance, on Friday I was poking around my hosting site and saw they had a special on premium DNS.

For a tiny, upfront annual fee, I could hook my websites up to a premium service that guaranteed my websites would be impervious to all kinds of internet nasties and would NEVER go offline.

Even if anonymous decided that my tiny website advertising me and my books to the world was worthy of their wrath and they launched a full-scale denial of service attack on little ole me, my website would stand up to the onslaught and retain its cyber presence.

I know that seems unlikely, but never say never.

So I signed up to the service and followed the email instructions to connect my websites up to their new, super-dooper, always-on, premium big-pants DNS.

Gosh, I felt like a grown-up.

After hooking it up I entered my website address into my browser to see if I could notice any difference.

I certainly could.

The whole thing was gone.

I then checked out my website that I haven’t quite got around to launching yet, so should have been showing a handy message from wordpress saying www.kathay1973.com is under construction.

Nope.

Nothing.

Apparently, when I hooked up to the new premium DNS, this took my existing DNS service down and I had to wait for between 48-72 hours for my new premium DNS to take effect.

So, in attempting to stop a theoretical outage sometime in the future, I caused an actual outage. Now.

This would possibly have been strikingly obvious to somebody who actually knew what they were doing, but my approach to website building and maintenance is haphazard at best.

I basically do stuff to stuff until it looks kind of like it did in my head, or I give up. Whichever comes first.

To be honest, this sort of approach usually ends in tears, with occasional bursts of joyous exclamation along the way.

But, it’s no way to run a business. The CEO should revoke my privileges and take my keys off me. Now.

The only thing I have going for me, is that my labour is free.

(That’s free for me only, everyone else has to pay for my services)

Weighing up chaos against cheapness, cheapness has won out every time.

So, until I start earning enough to fire the volunteer worker who doesn’t know what the hell she’s doing and hire someone who needs to be paid, with actual money, I’m just going to have to put up with it.

Job security is nice, no matter how it arrives.

Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment