Thursday 9 April 2015

Breaking Bad

Over the past few months my life has been undergoing a transformation. The transformation to even-less-time-than-usual to do all of the things I really should be doing.

There comes a time in every young woman's life where she has to made a decision. And sometimes in an older woman's life as well.

I cannot do it all. I can't have a career, a second career, a husband, children and pets. It's not possible.

And yes, I'm aware that I don't have children or pets - it's the main reason I don't have a photo on the children and pets wall in the office - and my darling is still firmly against becoming my betrothed, but I do want to have the other things.

So I've decided instead of trying to do them both at the same time, I'm going to take a break from one in order to focus on the other in the hope that it then reciprocates and gives me a chance to focus back on the first.

Oh yes. I'm career breaking.

I hope it's not bank breaking.

In order to stave off debtors I'm not taking the break until the end of August, and then only for six months.

And until then I have put my credit card away in the hope that this will alleviate some of the financial stresses of not receiving a pay cheque.

The stresses of not being able to buy things in the meantime, and the toll that will take, remains to be seen.

Not to mention the stress of trying to remember that I'm taking a break not to take a holiday, but to give myself an opportunity to explore more fully the question of tangibly building a retirement career out of putting words down on paper.

Although, I guess if I get to the end of it and I still haven't written anything more down I will have answered that.

And as one of my work colleagues gleefully pointed out, either way it'll all be over this time next year.

Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment