Thursday 25 June 2015

Wasting Time

Guess what incredibly useful thing I spent over an hour working (and I use the word loosely) on tonight?

Yes, that's right. I spent my time wisely creating a new scene break picture for an ebook that may or may not be upcoming.

With this sort of time investment being made regularly, I don't understand why I haven't written more books, or sold more of the ones I have.

Obviously there were a few other things I could've been working on tonight.

Editing the book I have in the works. Scoping out the plot and character lines for the next book I'm going to write. Researching emerging book markets and working out a strategy to get my own works out there and selling.

But that's so pedestrian, isn't it?

Instead, I think my time has been well spent designing something that may not even end up in a published work. With the added attraction that even if it does, it may never be noticed by anybody. Even if noticed there's a good chance that it won't be appreciated.

Yep. I feel like I put in the hard yards tonight, and it was nothing to do with procrastination, or self-entertainment.

And if you believe that, you'll probably also believe that I'm not lying to myself.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so terribly committed to time wasting activities. I can bet you get more done in a day than I do. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time-wasting is one of my very real strengths. Also, coffee.

    ReplyDelete