Monday 10 November 2014

Bad news on cup day

This morning I got dressed up in my fancy clothes, found out my fascinator was now called a hatinator on account of it having a brim, and set off to work in a reasonable mood.

A couple of hours later I was fighting tears in a meeting room while the leadership team learned that we're losing the best boss we've ever had.

And it was a good four hours before we could reasonably break out the strawberries and bubbly for cup day.

The day was rather on the skids from that point on. The restructure that we've all been trying to ignore for months on end has finally started to bite.

Like most people, I've been down this road before. There's the restructures that you barely noticed have happened; the ones that leave swathes of destruction in their wake; and the ones that you wake up hoping that a depression ain't about to hit New Zealand because you need a bouncy job market to find new employment in.

Of course now I'm a famous writer - cough, cough - I needn't worry about these things (snigger.)

And yes we're all told that change is good, and to embrace it, but that's hard when it's spiky all over and has razor sharp teeth.

But those berries were good when we finally got around to them. Even if I drew a loser non-placing winner in the sweepstakes it's still Cup Day and there are things that demand to be celebrated.

Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment